Dive in, become a Lifeguard!
Thank you for your interest in lifeguarding and employment with Wheat Ridge Parks & Recreation. Here’s the details about what it takes to become a lifeguard.
- New to Lifeguarding?
- Previous lifeguard experience, but need re-certification? We’ll re-certify you!
- Certified Lifeguard currently? Apply online!
Minimum Age and Skills Required
Must be at least 15 years old and a strong swimmer.
Lifeguard Training Course
- 32 hours of training
- Course is FREE for new hires who have completed and passed the interview and swim test.
- Training does not provide conditioning or swim instruction, only lifeguarding skills, first aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.
You must be able to proficiently demonstrate the following skills on the first day of class or at during the swim test in order to continue in the course.
- Swim 100 yards without stopping, demonstrating front crawl and breaststroke.
- Tread water for 1 minute using legs only
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards.
- Surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point